The master of 1518 (called Jan van Dornicke)
Antwerp circa 1470 - 1527
Two wings of the altarpiece
Oil on panel, 93.5 х 31 cm
Two wings of the altarpiece contain “The Resurrection” and “Christ carrying the Cross”. The wings dated the first quarter of the 16th century.
The term “the Master of 1518” was first used by the specialist of the early art of the Low Countries and an art historian M. J. Friedländer who was inspired by the date inscribed on the painted wings of a carved wooden altarpiece of the life of Virgin Mary in the Marienkirche, Lübeck. Over time a number of works have been grouped under this name. However, it has become evident that this name should not be understood as being a single master but includes a whole workshop active in Antwerp in the first quarter of the 16th century. It is believed that this workshop was led by Jan Mertens van Dornicke (Antwerp ca 1470 – 1527), although this fact has been disputed.
Today the religious scenes by the Master of 1518 are represented in public collections of the Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, USA; the Palais des Beaux-Arts, Lille, France; the Honolulu Museum of Art, Honolulu, USA; the Bonnefantenmuseum, Maastricht, Netherlands; the Royal Museums of Fine Arts, Brussels, Belgium.
“The Resurrection” provenance:
Collection of Dr. Paul Anselm Franz Beck (1845-1915) and his family members
Important private collection, Switzerland
“Christ carrying the Cross” provenance:
Dr. Paul Anselm Franz Beck (1845-1915); thence by descent to the present family members.
Private collection, Amsterdam
Important private collection, Zurich